Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Advice wise

It was a hot sweltering day and there I was, walking down a crowded part of Broadway. As a practice, my eyes are always cued on to observe the world around. And sometimes you do get to see some interesting happenings too. It was no different that day. There he sat by the shade of a parked car. A man in rags, head bent, intently absorbed in something, and quite oblivious to the world around. I moved closer, curious, and stopped to watch. There was a small heap of broken glass beside and he was crushing the glass pieces using two flat stones. Intrigued, I watched on as he crushed the glass pieces into a fine powder. Then, quite nonchalantly, he picked the fine powder between his thumb and forefinger and sniffed it into both his nostrils, one after the other. A chill went through me as he brushed his fingers and sat back with a contended sigh. Then I did something very foolish. Moving closer I asked him with great concern, “will that not hurt you in some way?”
Without even looking up he picked up a few more pieces and started his work again. I moved on, a wiser man, understanding that you should let people be and don’t offer unsolicited advice.

1 comment:

Srishti Padathiyaar said...

:) Made me smile! Again and again! By the way, you have a great blog! Enjoyed reading ur posts! :)